Image Map

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Go high, Little Man.

Dear Sawyer-

I've spent a lot of time thinking and crying today. Last night, our country elected a very terrifying man to become the next president of the United States. I'm still trying to process it and I feel as though I am grieving. I'm scared and mad and upset. But more than any of those things, I am MOTIVATED.

I am determined now more than ever to make this a safe place for you and the other children of our world. I am motivated to get out and push for changes that are so desperately needed. I am determined to show you love and compassion and acceptance.

I hope you know beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you are exactly who you are meant to be and that your daddy and I fully accept and support you no matter what. I don't care if you are gay, straight, or trans. I don't care if you fall in love with a person with a different skin color than you. I don't care if you choose to be Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or Atheist. I care that you are GOOD. I care that you are HAPPY. I care that you are SAFE.

Little man, it hurts my heart to think that this man will be the first president that you will remember. He may be a bully, a racist, and xenophobic. He may kick people when they are down and make fun of people who are different. But let me tell you something. It won't last. His time will come and go and when he's gone, we need good people to help pick up the pieces and put things back together.

That's where you come in.

I want you to stand your ground. I want you to sit with the kid who is sitting alone. Stand up for people who can't do it themselves. I want you to be confident knowing that you are doing the right thing, even when people are pushing you down and telling you that you aren't. Push boundaries and demand answers. Spread love and acceptance. Remember what our amazing First Lady said: "When they go low, we go high." Go high, Sawyer. Don't stoop down to anyone else's level.

There are a lot of things I'm not sure of right now. I'm not sure what will happen to our country in the next 4-8 years. I'm not sure what will happen to people of color, Muslims, Mexicans, and the LGBTQ community. I will fight for them as best as I can and do my best to show you that love will always trump hate.

You are what is good in this world, Sawyer. And I just know that you are going to change it.

I love you so so much.

 photo casa-sig_zps65cf4dc9.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment