Image Map

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

A Little Update

I stopped doing monthly updates and chalkboard pictures once Sawyer turned one, but I thought I would write a little update.



Little man is 14 months old and is finally walking. He definitely took his time. He'd take a few steps here or there if we made him, but he didn't really start walking on his own until he was almost 13.5 months. He's into everything now!

He can wink (with both eyes, which is the cutest thing ever), wave, clap, blow kisses, put his finger to his lips and say "shh." He knows where his hair, toes, and mouth are, and will give you a hug and pat you on the back. He blows raspberries on David's belly. He knows which of our cats is which. He will say "la la la" if you ask him to sing. He says dog, woof, cat, meow, hot, truck, yes, that, vroom, go, Elmo, mama, dada. One of his favorite things to do is to point at everything and ask, "That?"

He has 10 teeth that are completely in and, because the universe hates us, is cutting all the rest of his teeth AT ONCE. His last 2 molars and all 4 canines are starting to poke through. His mouth is a swollen mess and I want to curl up and cry. lol At least once these are through then that will be it until his 2 year molars come in. Which, given our teething track record, will be tomorrow.

He is still the worst sleeper on the planet. On a good (ha!) night he will wake up every 1-2 hours, but recently he's been up every 30-45 minutes because his mouth hurts. I know people mean well, but every time someone asks me how he's sleeping, I want to punch a kitten. Hopefully he'll figure it out one day. If not, I guess he'll be the only college student whose mom rocks him to sleep at night. ;)

Kiddo is a champion eater and I think I'm more proud of this than anything. His favorites right now are broccoli, avocado, frozen blueberries, mandarin oranges, veggie sticks, "pancakes" (banana, egg, & peanut butter), and bananas. He loves smoothies and water (We don't give him juice. There's really no need for it at his age.). I have been given many eye rolls and snide remarks in regard to what I feed Sawyer (which I just brush off), but he will eat anything (besides pickles! Whose kid is this??). I don't judge other mamas for what they feed their kids, so please don't judge me for what I feed or don't feed mine. I do on occasion give him treats (pizza, graham crackers, Oreos, and some of my Christmas cookies), but for the most part he eats what we eat. It's been so much fun to cook for him and watch him discover new foods and tastes. I really hope he keeps it up and doesn't turn into a picky toddler!

He got his first hair cut a couple weeks ago but he is still rocking some serious bangs. Kiddo needs a headband, stat.

We're still going strong with nursing and considering all our trouble we had in the beginning, I'm super proud and thankful! No plans to stop anytime soon!

Some of his favorite things right now are: Elmo, Christmas trees & lights, his train table, chasing me around and trying to catch me, helping me put the clothes in the dryer, going for walks in his push car, his trucks, bath time, dogs (we don't have one, but kiddo is obsessed), and reading Little Blue Truck over and over again.

I have no idea how he is 14 months old. It's been an exhausting whirlwind of no sleep and too little coffee, but man oh man is he worth it. I wish I could bottle up his smell, his belly laugh, and his sense of wonder, so that I can take them out years from now and just remember. I look back on his baby pictures and I feel as thought I've already forgotten so much. It's such a catch 22. I LOVE watching him learn and discover new things and I have a list a mile long of things I can't wait to do with him. But at the same time, I just want him to stop. He doesn't look like a baby anymore (when did that happen?? The day he turned 1??). His chubby cheeks are gone and now he looks like a little boy. I can't even shop in the baby section anymore. I have to go to the toddler section. What is this madness? Excuse me while I sit and cry.

Sawyer Penn-- Mama loves you. Every sticky, non-sleeping inch of you. I wouldn't trade you for the world, Little Man!



 photo casa-sig_zps65cf4dc9.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment