Sunday, October 8, 2017

Growing Baby 2- 37 Weeks!

I haven't done an actual update in a long time. It's been a combination of life and a toddler and not really having much to say. Last week, however, Little Man decided to throw us for a loop.



A few weeks ago, my OB noticed that baby's heart was adding an extra beat. He had me do a non-stress test and they decided that he was fine. Last week, October 5 (37 weeks exactly), I went in for my weekly check up and Dr. Rone noticed that his heart was still adding the beat and it was a little more prominent. He sent me over for another NST and that doctor immediately unhooked me from the monitors and had me do an ultrasound.

The next few minutes were a blur. She was throwing around words like "emergency c-section," "ambulance," "hospital," and "You're having this baby right now, call your husband." I was terrified. I didn't know what was going on with the baby. I called David and had to give the phone to the doctor because I couldn't get any words out.

Thankfully, Dr. Rone came in about that time and told everyone to chill out, more or less. I did not need an ambulance and my baby was not dying. He asked me if I would like David to drive me to the hospital and told me that he would be over to check on me soon.

Once we were at the hospital, I got settled in a room and was told again that we were having a baby that day. I still didn't know if that meant induction or c-section. I still didn't really know what was going on with little man. Finally, the head of high risk came in and explained that his heart was adding an extra beat (which we already knew) and that I would be meeting with a fetal cardiologist to determine how severe things were. I had a 30 minute long ultrasound with the cardiologist and he determined that M's heart has no abnormalities but he was having premature atrial contractions. Every third beat, his heart would add in an extra. But he said that the ventricles and the rest of his heart were dealing with it as they should. He said that most people have these episodes at some point in their lives. From his standpoint, he said that baby was fine and would not need to come that day but I had to meet with high risk for the ultimate decision.

Fast forward a few hours later, and the high risk doctor came in to talk about our options. We got Dr. Rone on the phone and ultimately decided that I was too overwhelmed to make any kind of decision that day. I went home, was up all night worrying, and then met with Dr. Rone the next day.

Let me just say that I am so, so lucky to have the doctor that I do. He listens, he advocates for me, and I have complete trust in him. I know that there are many women who do not have that luxury. He sat with me for almost 45 minutes and did his best to calm me down and answer my questions.

At that point, our options were:

*Do nothing and let him come when he's ready, but go in two or three times a week for ultrasounds to make sure his heart is still ok. I haven't been able to eat or sleep since Thursday, so I don't think putting myself through 3 more weeks of worry is the best thing for me or baby.
*Get induced right away.
*Or, what we ultimately decided, wait a week, have two ultrasounds this week, and then get my membranes swept Thursday and get induced Friday.

That option worked best for me for a number of reasons. I felt better giving him that extra week. We'll be 38 weeks and a day when I'm induced. Dr. Rone is on call next weekend and will be the doctor delivering. With such a special circumstance, the increased risk of c-section, and my pregnancy anxiety, I needed him to be the one delivering this baby.

I'm a nervous wreck. I know that birth plans are just plans and they change. But I was really hoping for a healing birth this time. To get the chance to labor at home and shoot for that natural birth I wanted. So I'm mourning that a bit. I'm also terrified of being induced and dealing with the Pitocin contractions. I also know that being induced doubles my chances for a c-section, not to mention the fact that the likelihood of a c-section was already increased because of little man's heart. I have never had surgery in my life, so the idea of a c-section scares me to death. C-section mamas are so brave and strong, and I don't really know if I can do it without completely losing it. I worry about the pain of recovery and not being the first to hold him. I worry about being alone in recovery. I worry about not getting to nurse him right away. So much anxiety and fear right now, but I'm trying to work through it.

So yeah. That's where we are right now. As of this moment, I'll have an ultrasound Monday and Thursday and then go in Friday to get induced and meet this baby.

Little man, you definitely threw us for a loop this week. Mama and daddy are a little scared and nervous, but we can't wait to meet you!



 photo casa-sig_zps65cf4dc9.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment