Image Map

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Salted Caramel Apple Mini Pies

To the majority of people, fall is all about pumpkin spice everything. Not for me. Give me all the caramel apple things! Have you guys ever had a caramel apple spice from Starbucks? It's steamed apple juice with cinnamon syrup and caramel. So. Good.

I've never been a huge fan of apple pie (or any fruit pie, for that matter.). Actually, I don't even really like pie at all. I like pie filling, but I always leave the crust. I'm the same way with cheesecake. But these mini handheld pies...they are a different story.



I normally prefer to make my own pie dough, but the first time I made these a few years ago I needed a fast dessert for our Halloween party. I didn't have time to make dough and I happened to have some roll out pie crust in the freezer, so I played around and came up with these.

Ingredients:

1 box of roll out pie crust (2 crusts)
2 cups of apples, diced into small pieces. About the size of a dime.
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c sugar
10 caramels, unwrapped and chopped
1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
sea salt

Preheat oven to 425*

Filling:
Combine apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, and sugar in a bowl. Set aside.

To assemble:
Roll out pie crust on lightly floured work surface. Using a biscuit cutter, mason jar ring, or in my case, a bourbon glass, cut out circles. Mine were probably about 2.5-3 inches wide. Re-roll the scrap dough and keep cutting circles until you run out. Keep in mind that you will need 2 circles to make 1 pie.

Place circles on a parchment lined cookie sheet and spoon some of the apple filling in the middle. Top with some of the chopped caramels and sprinkle with sea salt. Place a second circle on top, use a fork to crimp the edges together and brush with the egg wash. Using a knife, cut 2-3 slits in the top of each pie for venting.



Bake for 10-15 minutes. The crust should be golden brown and the caramel should be bubbling. Keep in mind that if you cut your apples larger than the recommended size, they will not be cooked through after 15 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!

So tell me! What's your favorite fall treat? Are you team pumpkin spice or caramel apple?



 photo casa-sig_zps65cf4dc9.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment